The ONLY text that uses sound first as a more natural and organic way to learn music theory
Designed for a one-semester musical fundamentals course, From Sound to Symbol: Fundamentals of Music, Second Edition, clearly covers all essential topics, but with a unique, sound-to-symbol approach that explores concepts through the sound of music before explaining how symbols are used. Students actively and methodically explore music by listening, performing, thinking critically, and composing, learning the rudiments of music theory in the process.
* Examples from folk songs and classical music are simple, memorable, and easy to sing or play.
* Activities use different modes of learning (kinesthetic, aural, and visual) to help students understand the fundamentals and apply them to music-making.
* The in-text Audio CD includes all the essential melodies from the book, examples of chord functions and harmonic progressions, and exercises to develop singing skills.
* The in-text Skills CD provides tutorials for chapter review, theory exercise drills, and dictation exercises.
* A folded, laminated keyboard is included at the back of the text.